Monday, April 14, 2008

Ohh! Look What I Did!!!

I'm so excited.. I mean, super, squealing with delight and jumping up and down excited!

Yes!!! I made a box (using the pattern from Mason Dixon) with a few tweaks, as I am in a LYS deprived area and I think it's freaking outstanding!!!

Wanna see??


Here it is, pre - felt (notice that I put an average coffee mug in for size reference - cause I'm a smarty):

I knit it up using some inexpensive Teal Paton's Merino. Mason Dixon used worsted, Paton's is only medium so I used 3 strands on US 11 needles.





Here it is in the washer with a pair of jeans! I was so excited that I made Maddie come and watch, and my poor mother... Of course I had to get her on the phone so I could tell her all about it! She had to listen to us "oooh" and "aahh" over a knit box in the washer.. What a good woman!
OK... not the best picture, but you get the idea.

I made a freakin' felted box!!!!!!!!!!

And I have several "Notes to Self"
1. The first trip through the washer was enough... I got a bit zealous and washed it twice. Superior felting produced superior shrinking!
2. When doing small box with smaller yarn, opt for no handles.. Yeah, there are slots there, but it ended up so tiny, that they were really un necessary.
3. Go on line. Purchase yarn utilized in pattern or reasonable substitute just to see the difference and come up with inexpensive alternative.

I'm going to start on another one. Whut! Whut! Who's making felted boxes??? Megan is!

(Just humor me... It's always been the little things that excite me)

No comments: