Thursday, April 2, 2009

Purple Lupines

When Mini-Me goes to NH during the summer, she and my mother are always on the look out for purple lupines. They grow in my mother's yard (or they used to, anyway) and all along the highways.

I can hear my mother saying "Look, Maddie! There's our purple lupines!"

She sends newspaper articles about lupines, pictures from her cell phone of lupines, and I think we even have a card with lupines on it.

I guess that's why when I saw this roving at The Loopy Ewe, I fell in love. Not only did it prey on my purple obsession, but the name made me smile. When I saw it at SAFF - I knew it had to be mine.



4 oz. 100% Targhee Top - Mountain Colors - Lupine
227 yards, approx 11 WPI


For whatever reason, my camera did not like the colors - The top picture is too light, the bottom is too dark. It was really fun to spin, and although it's rather bulky in spots, I'm pretty happy with it, as it is much more consistent than my last yarn.

A special thank you goes out to Lori! Because this yarn was coming out so nicely, I hated to have two separate skeins. Lori kindly walked me through how to ply the two ends together to create one long skein.


From this picture (craptastic, yes, but the colors - very accurate), you can see how full my bobbins were - eek! I ended up winding one into a center pull ball, and then plying the outside end with the yarn already on the bobbin. I spun a bit extra onto the bobbin, and then, using the end in the center of the ball, started winding it onto my niddy noddy. Although the join may not be perfect, I'm really pleased with the results!

So what else is new, kids?

8 comments:

Ida said...

That yarn is gorgeous. Of course the purpleness helps!!!

Zonda said...

oohh so pretty! Great job!!

Unknown said...

That yarn is so pretty I want to take my needles to it immediately!

Daniele said...

OH! Purpley goodness!!! LOVE
(1,000)

Hattie said...

Beautiful! My bobbins have been MUCH fuller at the end before. Tighten your tension the fuller your bobbin gets, and you'll fit more on. Usually as you fill it up you need to anyway, it lessens for some reason.

Opal said...

that yarn is the shizzle. i am really proud of you, girl! (and i really hope that doesn't sound condescending.)

Cookie said...

Love it! Well done!

She Knits Socks said...

Thank you for your comment. I'm holding it together, barely. I go back to work tomorrow. My internet friends have been very kind.