Saturday, May 23, 2009

Color me Coral! (Or is it Begonia?)

For my Birthday last year, mum sent fiber. It is extraordinarly soft, and was a pleasure to spin. As it was coming up on Mother's Day, I got to work!

I had 2 oz of each color, and thought it would be fun to play with color changes. The darker color is Begonia and the lighter color is Coral. After much discussion with my fellow fiber enthusiasts, I am pretty sure that I was spinning Ashland Bay Merino. I'm in love with the stuff, that's for sure, and will be ordering more in the future.

So! I laid out the roving, and separated each color into 4 separate lengths, having 2 per bobbin. Then, I decided to alternate the color changes differently on each bobbin. One bobbin alternated light and dark, the next bobbin alternated dark and light. In the end, I had three main color changes. Most of the yarn is a ply of Coral and a ply of Begonia, but I have shorter lengths that are either all Coral or all Begonia. It was really fun to figure out how I was going to manage the colors, and it really got me interested in playing with single color commercially dyed roving.

Here's the finished product! There's about 270+ yards at 14 WPI - I'd say it's a DK weight, if not a light worsted in some areas.

Are you not as befuddled as I am in the color differences between the two photos? It drives me nuts, and you are lucky that I posted both photos. Photo one is just so squooshy, and lush looking. It is actually very much Begonia. The bottom one was kind of artsy (haha) and is very much Coral. Go figure. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I took the pictures in different locations in my house.

Lesson learned!

PS - Mum has picked out a yummy cowl to knit with her yarn. Hopefully she takes pictures when she is done! =)

5 comments:

Cookie said...

Either color, it's gorgeous!

You did an amazing job.

Hattie said...

Oh wow, it's gorgeous!a

Zonda said...

Oooh..love those colors! Nice spinning there!

Opal said...

Simply amazing! You spinning wonder. :)

Daniele said...

Wow! Loving the colors!