Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Yes, I've been a lazy blogger

(this is the part where you wonder what has changed!)

I've been working on the project from hell - square #6 from the Great American Afghan. I've ranted enough on Plurk about it, but I just need to say that it's not because it's a difficult knit, it's soo fidley!! Gah!

I sat down and made my favorite hippie's Calorimetry this weekend. I love it. Mini Me gladly modeled it for me, and I think I'm going to make her one next. Thi
s was such a fast knit - perfect for gifts, just like the article says!


Can you tell that I she checked out the Knitty write up as well? This was a great little knit, and I hope my hippie girl gets lots of use out of it!


Speaking of On Line Magazines I checked out a few this week! I feel the need to ramble about them for a bit because each has their own finer points.
Knotions Magazine
I like it! The patterns are - gasp- FREE! They don't have a ton of patterns, but some of them are quite nice! I like the sock patterns a lot. They have a great section on techniques, which will become a handy reference! I like the way you navigate around - it makes fining things pretty easy! I also like that there are easy things and more challenging things - even in the techniques area. This is a practical handy website to bookmark

Twist Collective
Squee!!!! Where Knotions kicks arse for practicality, Twist Collective kicks arse for dreamy and over the top! The patterns are amazing! If I had to pick a place to look once a year for a major project - I might have to look here. They had beautiful, challenging and downright artful projects. The patterns are not free, but they are reasonably priced. They layout is very original - I like how you can go through the website by just clicking on the arrows, very similar to a regular magazine. The pictures - fabulous. Added bonus - the Mason Dixon Knitters have their own little Q & A corner. What more could one want out of an on line magazine?

So your task, fair blog readers, is to check out both websites and let me know what you think of each one! Maybe you'll stumble onto something I missed, or even -shocker- learn something new!!

4 comments:

Dani said...

knew i loved TC but somehow missed Knotions, so THANK YOU!!!! All signed up and exploring now :)

Hattie said...

Yea twist collective is the bomb diggity yo!

Heh, of course I think so since I was inadvertently part of it. But damn they got some good patterns!!!

She Knits Socks said...

Thanks for reviewing the online magazines. I will be sure to check them out.

Your Mini Me is a good model. I bet you have a good time with her.

Daniele said...

Love the hippie calorimetry! That came out great for Mini-Me. I read both of those magazines and I like them both for their differences. Got to have diversity in knitting!