Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Happy Birthday Mum!

My mum turns some-age-she-doesn't-want-known on Saturday 29 June! My mother and I have not always had the best relationship. Partly because I was a nutty teenager, but partly because we are so very similar. Once I left the nest and grew up, I came to realize that no matter where I am or what is going on, my mother is always going to be there for me.

I think my mom would be the first person to tell you that I don't always make the best choices, I don't always take the easy route, and I am independent to a fault. No matter where my choices or path take me, she is always there for me with more love and support than I could ever ask for. We have grown so very close over the last 10 years, and I cannot tell you how happy I am to have her by my side.

For those of you who don't know, I live in North Carolina and mum lives in New Hampshire. I've been out of the state since 1994, and still to this day we will cry together over how bad it hurts sometimes to be apart. Although I am reasonably happy here in NC, I do struggle with being a single mom, and being alone and there are days when I wish that I could just pack up and go home. To my mom, who will still rub my back while I go to sleep if I ask her to. To see the delight she takes in having Mini-Me around, and how much of a bond there is between the two of them fills me completely. She has this way that she always smooths down Mini-Me's hair on the top of her head when Mini-Me cries or is upset. It makes me feel better just watching it. When we travel to her house, I wake up to an empty bed in the morning, and find Mini-Me curled up with my mother having either a quiet conversation about the topic of the day, or just snuggling and watching TV. I could not ask for a sight more beautiful.

(ok - no more of that because now I'm crying)

Top 10 Reasons Why Nancy Lillian Cassidy Is So Freakin' Awesome

1. The is one of the most crafty people I know!! (jewelry making, weaving baskets, knitting, painting, the list goes on)
2. She bakes the best English Muffin Bread!
3. Her hair is nice!
4. She took me to my first concert - Crosby Stills and Nash (who we sing along with to this day)
5. She lets us call her the Ayatollah when she acts bratty.
6. She always sends Mini-Me and I little care packages with fun stuff inside.
7. She gives me the best encouragement when I try new things (like knitting socks)
8. We can laugh hysterically about the most trivial things!
9. She puts up with my wacky ways.
10. She loves me no matter what!!!

She asked me for a summer weight scarf, and this is what I made her:

(I tried to be a bit artsy when I took this - heh) I got the pattern from here. I used Elann Callista - about 1 1/3 skeins. I like it.

Ok, so now that I've taken you on the emotional roller coaster for the day, please make sure you tell your mum that you love her!

3 comments:

She Knits Socks said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Mom. Enjoy her while you have the chance. My mom died at age 50. We have missed her for a long time.

Happy Birthday, Knotty's Mom.

LaVerna said...

Happy Birthday Lillian!
I talk to my mom everyday sometimes more than once.She is my hero and my best friend.I pray every day that she will be here for a long long time.

Daniele said...

Beautiful scarf and pattern. You've done a great job with it.

Moms are definitely the best friend a girl could have.

Daniele aka mscreate.typepad.com